Sunday, April 22, 2012

Amazing experiences

Kristina and I have been very busy the last 2 days.  We've been to see Amina two more times and she is still the cutest and sweetest girl in all the world.   I fed her and she fell asleep in my arms.  The other kids there are just awesome too - friendly and polite and inquisitive.   They are taken such good care of by the nannies and nurse.

Saturday night we went to an Ethiopian wedding reception of our host's relative.  So cool.  A lot of similarities to wedding receptions in the US, but a lot of unique details too.  We also went to 2 museums and a lion zoo yesterday.   We had pizza at the "best" pizza place in Addis.  Was different than home, but recognizable :)  We went to the Ethiopian version of Starbucks this morning for breakfast.  Caramel mocha latte and pancakes were great.  We also went to church today and then an Indian restaurant for lunch, which was delicious!   We also went shopping in a shopping area that was just a street with shop after shop.  You're supposed to bargain with the prices.  Kristina was better at that then me.   It was sad because there are a lot of orphaned homeless kids in Ethiopia (4.6 million according to the Internet) and they follow shoppers around.  After we were done shopping and back in our host's car, I couldn't stop crying.   We are so spoiled in America and we take everything for granted...

We went to a traditional Ethiopian restaurant tonight for dinner and that had live entertainment: a band and singing and dancing.  I will upload some video once I'm back home.  It was amazing.  During one of the performances they pick a man and woman from the audience to go on stage and they perform a mock wedding.  Guess who was the bride?  Ya, Kristina took video of that for sure!  I even had to do a small amount of dancing (if you can call what I did "dancing").

Monday (tomorrow) morning is my court appointment.  After that we leave for Korem, which is a 16 hour drive north.  We will get there Tuesday and be back in Addis probably Thursday, possibly Wednesday late.  No internet access during the trip.  Will post again when I'm able :)

No comments:

Post a Comment